Starting a Business? Here are our Top Tech Tips …
When you start your business there are so many things to consider. We know because we have been there! What company name do you use? Do you register for VAT? What website or email address will you need?
At Emerald we have worked with a lot of start-ups looking to grow quickly. This means they need technology solutions that are cost-effective and scalable. We love working with these forward-thinking companies because we can get everything right from the start! Of course, 6 months is a long time in the life of a start-up and our monthly payment options make our solutions flexible and affordable for every new business.
Don't forget we have been there. Not only do we help look after your technology, we are also a wealth of advice, contacts, and connections. Give us a call or come and have a chat in our Leamington office. We love to see new businesses succeed and we'd love to learn more about yours ...
Our Top Tips When You Start a Business
How are your customers going to communicate with you? What will their experience be if they call / email / visit your website? Before you think about social media, get the foundations right
- Top Tech Tip: We recommend you don't use a gmail.com or btconnect.com or outlook.com address. Your email looks best as email@example.com or .co.uk
- Top Tech Tip: We recommend you use an email solution that is secure and backed up. The free email that comes with your web hosting won't be either so it's worth investing in a quality solution. Costs are low from £5 per month too
- Top Tech Tip: We recommend you don't forget the power of the dog & bone. People like to call. Customers like to call. What experience do they get if they ring your landline number? Do you want to advertise your mobile? There are lots of clever systems where you can have all the functionality of a digital phone system for £10 per month and calls can route wherever you want them to
When you are starting out it is easier to take risks. In fact, many people may have told you that you are taking a huge risk already leaving that great job of yours to start this business (they did the same to us back in 2009!) But there are things you should not take any risks with. Your business critical data is one. Whether you are building a database of contacts through your email or a CRM system, whether you are storing contracts on your laptop, or in a cloud based document management solution - you need to ensure it is adaquately protected and backed up. We are happy to talk through all the different options at various price points starting from as little as £25 per month
- Top Tech Tip: It is always best to remove the capability for human error from any process so our recommendation would be to automate your back up and store it off-site
- Top Tech Tip: Protect your business critical data and systems with a full cyber security package. A standard anti-virus is not enough to ensure you don't fall victim to ransomware attacks. Adopt a pro-active approach to security with our daily cyber security monitoring service from just £12.50 per month
Depending on the nature of your new business, you may be working on your own playing every role or you may already have 1 or 2 or more employees. It's important even at this early stage to think about your business workflow and the transfer of information from one role or department to another. Data is crucial to any business. Again you might be investing in a Customer Relationship Management (CRM) system but even if not you are very likely to need access to information on the move
- Top Tech Tip: We recommend you don't underestimate the power of a CRM system. Come and have a chat with us about the difference it has made to our business. With costs from as little as £15 per user per month, we can work with you on a bespoke and flexible solution
- Top Tech Tip: Eliminate paper and digitalise your workflow as much as possible. Again, there are some great off the shelf software products to do it all from your customer order form to your VAT return. We have a wealth of experience with all the major players so again would be happy to advise on the advantages and disadvantages of them all!
Whether it's a great accountant, legal advice on your contracts, or someone to call when your email doesn't work; it is crucial as a small business that you pull in expertise where you need it. As much as we would like to be, us business owners are not experts in everything. Support is not expensive either and it is definitely money well spent when you are growing. Believe me, the money we have invested in our accountants, our HR support, and our legal advice have paid us back ten-fold in the years we have been operating. Our IT support packages cover as much or as little as you want and can include a next day replacement mobile phone, laptop, etc. ensuring your business stays operational whatever happens.
- Top Tech Tip: Invest in IT support. It's not just for larger businesses. How crucial is your technology to your day to day operations? Sir Clive Woodward shared a panel with our CEO in 2016 and reminded the audience 'whoever wins in IT, wins'
We think that's advice worth noting!
Emerald Case Studies
Our latest Case Studies and what our customers are saying...
We started working with Leech & Co Solicitors as a referral from our software partner. The Directors were looking for a more cost-effective hosting solution for their cloud-based system. The issue they had with large corporate hosting packages is the unpredictable cost based on the amount of...
Read Further Case Studies